Saturday, April 05, 2008

Pilgrims Progress

I have been reading Pilgrims Progress. I purchased it several years ago. At that time an older man that was mentoring me said "you'll never finish it." He apparantly had a problem with books that are not written in the modern tounge. Anyway, I got distracted and put it down. I have recently started again and am determined to finish. I find that if I take it in small chunks I can really reflect on the story and what it is saying. Anyway, here is a little something I took from it...this is a song Christian sings as he is coming out of the valley of the shadow of death, after he has encountered Pagan and Pope. Enjoy!

O world of wonders! (I can say no less),

That I should be preserved in that distress

That I have met with here! O blessed be

That hand that from it hath deliver'd me!

Dangers in darkness, devils, hell, and sin

Did compass me, while I this vale was in:

Yea, snares, and pits, and traps, and nets, did lie

My path about, that worthless, silly I

Might have been catch'd, entangled, and cast down;

But since I live, let JESUS wear the crown.

No comments: