Friday, March 23, 2007

The Drop That Grew into a Torrent

I will open rivers in desolate heights, and fountains in the midst of valleys; I will make the wilderness a pool of water and the dry land springs of water. (Isaiah 41:18)

Hymn Text

1. All my soul was dry and dead,
Till I learn'd that Jesus bled.
Bled and suffer'd in my place,
Bearing sin in matchless grace.

2. Then a drop of heav'nly love
Fell upon me from above,
And by secret, mystic art,
Reach'd the center of my heart.

3. Glad the story I recount,
How that drop became a fount,
Bubbled up a living well,
Made my heart begin to swell.

4. All within my soul was praise,
Praise increasing all my days;
Praise which could not silent be:
Floods were struggling to be free.

5. More and more the waters grew,
Open wide the flood-gates flew,
Leaping forth in streams of song
Flowed my happy life along.

6. Lo! a river clear and sweet
Laved my glad, obedient feet!
Soon it rose up to my knees,
And I praised and prayed with ease.

7. Now my soul in praises swims,
Bathes in songs and psalms and hymns;
Plunges down into the deeps,
All her powers in worship steeps.

8. Hallelujah! O my Lord!
Torrents from my soul are poured!
I am carried clean away,
Praising, praising all the day.

9. In an ocean of delight,
Praising God with all my might,
Self is drowned; so let it be:
Only Christ remains in me.

- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

No comments: