Thursday, November 02, 2006

Holding Out For A Hero

I have been invited to a costume party on Saturday night at my friend KrebstarXXL's house. He lives there with his cousin. They throw parties 2 –3 times a year and it's always a good time. They have a room about 10x12 that they cram everyone into for dancing. They both love the Lord, so the parties are pretty safe. Even so, they don't shy away from inviting non-Christians to the affair. What a fertile ground to form relationships with non-believers that can be used as steps to sharing the gospel with them.

 

These parties usually have a theme involved. As I said, this one is a costume party. We are required to show up dressed as a superhero. I'm holding out for an idea of what hero to go as. I mean lets be frank, I do not have a superhero build. I'm sure one will come to me. I have noticed that Superheroes are the latest pop culture phenomenon to find its way into every part of our lives. There is a hit TV show about them, several movies recently have raked in big bucks and I even read an article the other day about a superhero appearing on a daytime soap opera. Could this say something about our culture? I'm sure some sociologist has a theory related to some political or geopolitical agenda that causes us to crave heroes. I also assume that there are Christians who would make an argument that we are seeking someone to save us. I'm not going to jump onto either bandwagon, but wanted to make the observation that there is something that causes us to find enjoyment in elevating individuals (fictional and not) to a place of hero status. We all want someone to look up to and someone who can right the wrongs that we feel powerless to oppose. I know who my heroes are, do you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the title, randy :-)

Anonymous said...

We all believe in the "myth" of a superhero. We all want to believe that there is something greater to pin our hopes on. I think Eldridge may have a point in all this though I don't think it is based on heavy scripture per say. So we were sent the Superhero some odd 2000 years ago and around Him all myth is made. Interesting when you look at Him from that perspective. Romantizize it in our finite understanding and suddenly He becomes a real Graphic novel icon. I do not mean to trivialize His holiness either. Just another way to re-interpete what is going on here. Good blog.

Come as yourself. As a hero that you are. Therein lies your path for the answer is right in front of you.

OUuuooooo. Hee.