Wednesday, November 15, 2006

My Quest for a Flat Panel TV





I purchased a one bedroom condo back in January. Why not a condo? I’m busy and single, so not having to care for a yard, and having limited space aren’t my biggest concerns. I just need enough room for me, and the occasional visit from friends. I am also extremely anti-clutter and at least once a year I perform a ritual that involves throwing lots of stuff out (although lately I have a business arrangement with a friends wife to sell this stuff on eBay.) Because of my space constraints, I am constantly adjusting furniture placement and space usage in search of that mythical sweet spot of functionality and style (as much as a man can have style.) To this end, I have determined that my 32-inch Sony Wega TV is just too darn big for my space. I have had it about 1 ½ years and it has served me well, but I need the space. I have determined, after some research that I desire a 32 inch LCD flat panel TV. The front-runner in this quest is the Sharp AQUOS 32" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV. Take a look:



My speed bump in this process is that I am a bargain hunter and I don’t like to buy things, unless their coolness factor overpowers my better judgment. So I have come up with a brilliant (or mad) plan and that plan is…….Christmas! No, I am not asking for the TV for Christmas, but I am asking that those who usually give me gifts give a Best Buy gift card. I know that this will in no way total the cost of the TV, but I have a 2nd part to this plan. That is reward points. My bank checking account provides me with reward points for every purchase. At different point levels I earn different rewards. My bank offers this for free so it cost me nothing to participate. The redemption level that I am interested in is 20,000 points. That would earn me a $200 gift card to, yes that’s correct, Best Buy. I have 4500 points accumulated so far. I just need to use this card the entire Christmas season for my own purchases to build the point total up. My third part of this plan involves convincing my friends who may have large Christmas purchases to make, to allow me to make them for them and then they reimburse me. This will increase the money flowing through my checking account and thus increasing my points total. It’s a brilliant plan. Now if only I can make it happen. I’ll update my TV posts as we go along. My goal is to acquire this TV sometime in January. Check back faithful readers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're so goofy

Ellen said...

YEA - I made Randy's blog and that made my day! - Ellen

Anonymous said...

Have you considered selling your current tv on ebay?